After a weekend away I got back to the plot to find there was alot of crops ready to pick. I needed space to plant new crops so I started by digging up 5 parsnips. I gave away a couple and took the rest home to give neighbours.
I had to pick a massive amount of purple sprouting as most of it was already overblown before pulling the plants up to clear the space for planting potatoes. A couple of plants went to neighbours with chickens as they love to peck at the greenery. The greenery from the rest went into the compost and the stalks will go to the tip. I also pulled three immature spring cabbages that do not look as though they are going to heart up, probably because I was too late planting them last autumn. I need the space for potatoes anyway and they will make good spring greens.
Before I had chance to pack everything away I was summoned to a water leak further down the track. A pipe had just disconnected by the tap and water was gushing everywhere, including all over the poor chap who was struggling to repair it. Two of us went to the gate to try and locate the main stopcock. Once we had managed to prise open the cover I had to lay full length on the ground inn order to reach down so I could just reach to turn the tap. Returning to the problem pipe I found Mark Merritt had the repair well in hand so it wasn't long before I returned to the stopcock to turn the water back on.
Going back to the plot I noticed the asparagus shoots poking through and cut some very short but very fat spears before packing everything away and going home.