My first job was to check the cauliflower that I knew was maturing. It was only just big enough to pick but given the weather forecast for the next few days I picked it straight away. There is nothing worse than finding a cauliflower spoiled by weather damage.
I then dug over half my strawberry plot as my new plants have arrived. I was digging in the compost that I had mulched the patch with a few weeks ago.
I then moved on to dig out the trench on the other half of the roots bed that I had started digging last week. There were some really thick bindweed roots deep down so I am worried that there will be a massive problem this year with the weed!
Finally I dug over the soil in my glassless greenhouse. It crumbled down well but is totally without any humus, which is not surprising as there was an old shed on the site before the greenhouse. I think I might have to use growbags this year for my tomatoes while I enrich the soil for the future crops.
Before going home I also picked some of my forced rhubarb and a few leeks. The chard, which I covered with a net tunnel earlier to protect it from the pigeons, is still not recovered otherwise I would love a picking of chard with my dinner.