Another warm day so when, I started clearing the green manure from the bed for peas and beans, I realised that it would be better to do something less strenuous and more fiddly. So when I had cleared one half and moved a heap of dying greenery to the compost heap I left the second half and started fixing the canes for training the Loganberry.
The poles have been there for some time and, after adjusting the position of a few screws and nails so the canes rested on them easily, I wired them into place. There was then only time to wind the Loganberry vines round the canes. I will tie them in later.
While doing this something unexpected happened! I looked up from my work to see an adult fox in the next door but one plot. The animal totally ignored me, stopping to sniff something by the fence. Perhaps I should have whipped out my phone to photograph him but instead I grabbed a stone and threw it at him. Far from dashing off he just moved away a bit but the second stone sent him running towards the main road.
Shortly after I saw a rat dash across the next plot as well!
I then spent a while dealing with the disposal of the heap of blackberry vines.
Once that was done I returned to the other half of the bed and pulled out a second barrow load of greenery and heaped it into the compost bin and the patch was ready to be mulch with leaf mould.
To finish I checked my cauliflowers and was horrified to see that they are swelling and ripening at a tremendous pace with the warm weather. We still have to eat the last one!
I also checked the beetroot and pulled up the whole row as there were lots of tiny and useless roots. The few good ones were bagged up to take home.
As I cleared up I noticed a Mooli radish that was very exposed with 5 or 6 inches sticking out of the soil so I pulled it.