Before I did anything else I stripped the soft growth from the brassica plants I had pulled up last time and add it to the compost bin. As they had gone limp my usual way of bashing them on the edge of the bin did not work so I was reduced to cutting the soft material off with my penknife.
I then picked up a roll of wire grid and straightened it out on the track before staking it along the row of emerging peas. A scattering of birch twigs along each side of the gridwork will keep the pigeons, I hope, before I cover it all with netting.
I used the cultivator to loosen the soil between the rows before the raking the soil over the emerging shoots. I had to go over it twice to cover all the leaves.