Arrived on site with a collection of cauliflower plants to plant out. This is the range of coloured caulis I had bought online.
On the way in I checked in with our President, Hugh Merrett, in the Association greenhouse as earlier in the week I had been given a wooden greenhouse bench and shelf. He immediately thought he had a use for them so I drove down to the plot and carried them from there where I had stored them to the greenhouse where they were found to fit nicely.
I then returned to the plot and went to the brassica cage where I had to pull two cabbages, one small and the other a decent size, that had recently hearted up and were in the way. I set the cauliflower plants in their pots out on the ground to check they would fit in the space and had to make a minor modification from the plan I had on computer (courtesy of Suttons).
Just as I was about to start planting I had a visit from Tina from the far track who described finding a hedgehog that had been injured by a strimmer. She initially left it alone to see if it could recover but checking later found it was seriously injured so took it to the Hedgehog Hospital in New Milton.
Shows how careful you need to be with a strimmer!
By the time we'd finished it was 11 o'clock, time for coffee and cake - delicious coffee and raisin cake this week!
Returning to the plot I started planting out the caulis using, as they are quite large plants when mature, my normal system of digging a 4 inch deep hole and then using a bulb planter at the bottom. As usual each plant got a good dose of lime in the hole.
I managed to plant 5 plants each of:-
'Veronica', a green Romanesco,
'Graffiti', a purple cauli,
and 'Sunset', an orange one.
I still have to plant 5 ' Clapton f1' which are normal white caulis but club root resistant - as well as 10 kohlrabi.
I had run out of time so picked the purple sprouting from the lone plant covered in yellow flowers left to seed for next year and, after trimming the cabbages went home for lunch - late as usual!