Things did not start well when I discovered I had left my cordless drill behind which I had wanted to use to fix braces to one of my net tunnels. Without it I set to earthing up the row of late planted potatoes. Unfortunately that meant digging out clumps of dandelion roots growing alongside the row first but I soon had almost covered the emerging shoots in a nice ridge.
I am surprised that we haven't yet had a 'Smith period' warning, a period of high risk of blight spreading. Warm night's and humid days usually mean the fungus thrives and spreads. However I have pulled a few brown spotted leaves off my potatoes, just in case and well check them at every visit, removing any suspect foliage as soon as I can.
On my next visit I will 'firtle' around beneath my first earlies to see if there is anything worth eating yet.
Then I realised that I had several bags of garden waste from my neighbours. The bin only had room for the one in a reusable bag so the rest were stacked up with all the other black plastic bags behind the compost bins ready for when there is room. The contents will rot down nicely while they are waiting.
I then decided to do some harvesting. There were quite a few fat pea pods so I picked them - my first crop of the year. It was a bit of a long drawn out process as the chickweed had grown well under the netting and needed dealing with.
The autumn planted broad beans were also big enough to pick and, as the row of plants was so sparse, I just pulled up the whole row and then picked the beans off the plants. A much easier way to do it!
I then got a call from my son saying he and my grandson could come and help move my brassica tunnels. A request for help from my good neighbour, Tom, and a call home to my wife and I had enough manpower to move them. It took a few minutes, while waiting for them to arrive, to cut through the last few stakes holding them down and, with one on each corner and one in the middle they were soon on their new sites. One will need some extra bracing but will stand for a day or two unless we have a gale.
A rooted plantlet of spineless blackberry had to be dug out to make way for the tunnel so I gave it to a new tenant who had just started cutting down the jungle of weeds on the plot she had just taken over. I also offered her some rhubarb which is the only thing I have plenty of - though I did have a few strawberries to collect.
That done and my helpers dispersed with grateful thanks, I tidied up and went home.