With rain forecast I came down to the plot in the morning expecting a curtailed session. It started spotting before I got to the gate but fortunately that was it and I had the whole morning on site.
I can't yet build my new compost bin as I need new pallets so I decided to clear the squashes (that had gone in too late and so produced nothing), the cucumbers (after a tremendous crop they had stopped), the courgettes (after cutting the last small courgettes before they rotted off), and the melons (now they had given me their best).
Looking around, I realised that weeds had proliferated in several places so attacked those growing in the brassica cage. It took a bit of effort to hoe and rake between all the cabbage and cauliflower plants but soon I had raked out all the weeds and everything looked neat and tidy.
There was also a great deal of rubbish, weeds and soil that had spilled onto the path so I spent a few minutes scraping them aside with the shovel and then sweeping everything clean to avoid a slippery mess when the rain came.