I started by sorting out my peas. The net tunnel came off the my first half row of early peas I set off in gutters and moved onto the second batch I had sown and are a few inches high - vulnerable to pigeons and other pests. The next batch didn't germinate well so I used the few plants I got to fill in a gap where the mice had done their worst. They were supported by a few twigs from the birch prunings from home but needed more. However, I first needed to finish off the row by sowing a third batch of peas. I used a trial pack I got cheap from Suttons of the 'Terrain' variety, supposedly resistant to mildew. Having no room to dig out a seed drill, I cultivated a friable layer and scattered the seed on the surface before pressing them down with my finger. I then brought out the rat traps and poison inside trimmed milk bottles to keep them safe from other animals. Normally I just sprinkle paraffin along the row to put off the mice but I have run out. Of course I also scattered a few pellets of slug bait along the row.
Having completed the sowing I then carefully unrolled the length of chainlink fencing I use to support peas. I was especially careful not to set off the traps.
I added a set of canes with mini-bottles impaled on their tops and a string stretched along above the chainlink all to hold up the netting I covered over everything to keep off butterflies and pigeons.
Following that task I harvested all the leaves from the spinach beet I could from the over-wintered row and dug up the roots before immediately planting the last of my potatoes, Charlotte, well spaced out as I had only a few tubers left.
I'm not sure I can keep up with the weeds. Those growing in the beds between the rows are easily dealt with by hoeing but the large clumps of lush green grass at the gate and at the far end of the plot by the shed will need digging out. Heavy!
Finally I harvested several asparagus spears and a large handful of rhubarb sticks to take home with the spinach.