Monday 12th September
I arrived at the plot today with a builder's bag of grass and leaves from a neighbour, and some of my own garden and kitchen waste in my trailer. Having emptied the big bag out in front of my plot I discovered that it was mostly leaves, all ready to blow away. Having emptied the rest of the waste onto the compost bin I covered it with a good layer of leaves - a good 'brown' contribution to the heap to balance the mainly 'green' material I normally add.
The runner beans were lovely and young - apart from the odd ones I had missed last time, and there were once again lots of raspberries despite me having picked then yesterday. I decided to leave the French beans until next time but picked instead a good crop of peas before the mildew got through the pod into the peas.
I wanted to add to the few Sarpo Mira potatoes that came out of the ground when I removed the haulms so started digging up the end plant. To my surprise that one plant gave me a huge pile of spuds, despite me throwing away 4 large potatoes that had gone green, as you can see in the photo.
Having put those bags in my trailer I sorted into separate bags the rubbish inside the gate into metal, bits of old wood and green waste such as cabbage stalks and raspberry canes. Now it is all nice and tidy.