Returning from a trip away, I wanted to get on with rebuilding the first brassica cage on the new patch at the far end of the plot. I was stopped last time by not having suitable battens for the side stringers so I visited InExcess on the way and collected enough for this cage and the second.
I stopped at the gate and the Trading Hut to put up notices for next week's Working Party so decided to have my Sunday morning coffee straight after unloading the timber. It was great to see that the Wildlife List on the cabin was already very long -and it has only been up a week!
After coffee I returned to the plot and sorted the best battens for the stringers. They need to be in line with the edges of the netting for stapling so I spent some time measuring and marking where to fix them. Even so I had to make some adjustments while fitting them.
Once I had finished the structure felt quite strong and stable so I hope to do without any diagonal struts.
All this had taken some time and I realised it was lunchtime when my neighbours settled down for a picnic. Hence there was no time for harvesting.