Knowing that the forecast was for rain later on, I still only managed to get down at 11 o'clock having collected a bag of garden waste and an old wheelbarrow from neighbours.. I had only emptied the garden waste onto the compost heap when it began to spit!
Dodging the rain drops I cut two yellow courgettes and one green one. In addition there were several small F1 Tiger Stripes marrows that are very suitable as courgettes. As it had stopped raining by then, I then pulled a few carrots and a couple of beetroot.
I then started harvesting runner beans. Some were a bit large and mature as it had been nearly a week since my last visit. Part way round it started raining again so I thought I would stop when I had done stripping the beans. However by the time I had finished it had, once again, stopped raining so I began digging out the rest of the row of early Kestrel potatoes. I had to do it to clear the ground for the leeks I bought from the Trading Hut last Sunday. They have survived in a pot with water but don't look very healthy so I shall have to buy at least another bunch to be sure of a crop.
However as I was unearthing the potatoes I saw that the King Edwards had been infected by the Blight! Having seen that the back half of the row was well infected I got busy with my knife and cut ll the haulms off and, using a garden refuse bag my neighbour had given me full of compost bin material, stuffed all into that ready to take to the tip.
Needless to say it rained again while I was doing it so I went home rather wet!