The weeds have grown very rapidly. Between the crops they are still quite small so can be hoed off during the week. However, the gateway and far end have grown thick clumps of grass knee high and will take some work! Wanting to get some sense of achievement I decided to finish transferring compost from the side bin into the middle one. It was hard work that I should have done in the cooler weather earlier in the year but I managed to finish. I have several bags of garden waste from my neighbours waiting to be put in a bin but I didn't have an empty bin to put it all in.
I have found that the woven landscape fabric I use to line the bins is perfect except that the cut edges fray out into thin strands of plastic that tangle with everything. Having emptied the bin I took the opportunity to fold the fraying edges back and staple them out of the way. Hopefully that will cure the problem, it certainly looks tidier.
The part matured compost was very wet and stodgy so I plan to add layers of the horse litter to the bin as I fill it to introduce more brown matter to balance the green waste. I also think I will replace the carpet covers with plastic sheeting to throw the rain off, keeping the carpet for insulation during the winter.