Being away for most of the week meant I had missed a visit or two. This morning was lovely and warm but cooled a little as the sky clouded over and a slight breeze arrived. However it was delightful to be on the plot.
Fixing the netting on the side of the brassica tunnel had to wait as once again I did not have all the materials with me but I did manage to sort out my leaf storage. They were in two of my neighbour's builder's bags on loan but I managed to squeeze them all into my single bag by squashing them down a bit and watering them. I covered the top with a piece of old carpet to stop the leaves blowing away but made sure it was dipped in the middle so the rain would collect. A few jabs with my pen knife ensured the water will soak through to help the leaves decompose.
As I started I was horrified to see that the rats, not content with gnawing through my crop of Swedes, had started on my carrots. It did not take long to dig up all the carrots left in the ground!
Finally I lifted a couple of leeks to take home, the first of my crop this autumn.