After emptying the kitchen waste bin, I got on with dealing with the autumn raspberry paths. I cleared the old pine needle mulch, spreading what was left onto the new mulch alongside the summer raspberries. Cutting down with a spade alongside the row of plants means I had cut any spreading roots and shoots. I also cut down the outer edge of the path to avoid disturbing the row of celeriac in the neighbouring bed.
Digging was reasonably easy though a little wet by the fence where there were most bindweed roots to extract making it more difficult. Eventually I turned to using a fork as it was easier to break down the lumps of soil and extract the raspberry roots and shoots. However it was soon dug over, in between stopping to chat to other tenants and even a market research worker looking for over-50's to talk about how to market insurance to older people! He went off to Stewarts to warm up with a cup of coffee after spending a few minutes standing talking to me and I went back to digging to warm up.
The wind blew up at lunchtime making it even colder so I left digging the other side of the row and went home, leaving a small cauliflower I forgot to cut. Hopefully it will still be usable when I return on Sunday.