I returned home to collect some posts, a stack of plastic chairs and some netting destined for the allotments.
I then came on to the allotments and, having emptied the trailer of the goodies, stopped beside the 'manure' heap beyond the Trading Hut. Having spent Sunday morning with the help of the Working Party clearing the heap off the roadway, I discovered a new heap had been deposited half over the track again.
However, this new heap is straw based real manure so I took the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and loaded my trailer while digging the manure back from the track! It was hard work as the manure is thick, wet and smelly but it is good stuff and, if you are quick, there might be some left.
I put some in my compost heap and some in the leafmould/manure bin as, if you have followed the blog, you will know I have not been given many bags of leaves this year and the bin is far from full.
I then filled the trailer up with all the branches and twigs from pruning my fruit bushes and cutting back the strawberry tree that overhangs from a neighbouring plot.
Having taken that to the tip I returned and unearthed the Journeyman's Chest from my old shed. When I got through the rubbish covering it I opened it expecting to find very little. I was shocked to find it was full of old plastic sheeting and landscape fabric and a large lump of crumbly black stuff that I thought at first was a fungus. Delving deeper I realised it was an ant's nest made from the said landscape fabric. There were thousands of large shiny black ants, somewhat dozy but all trying to defend the nest waving their antennae in the air and trying to find something to bite. I was glad I was wearing gloves! The nest finished up in the incinerator that I had lit earlier.
Also in the chest was some odd tools and some old out of date refreshments (biscuits, munchy bars and tea, sugar and coffee) together with a couple of stoves and fuel and a kettle!
All were loaded into the trailer and taken home to be sorted out and cleaned or thrown away!
I did do a little gardening. I removed the plastic bottle covers from my autumn sown peas and substituted a net tunnel. Hopefully the seeds I sowed a couple of weeks ago at home in 'Root Trainers' will provide replacements to fill in the gaps. However, germination of both the peas and the broad beans has been so slow I have moved them into the warmth of the conservatory.
Perhaps I should follow the example of the chap I spoke to on the far side of the site who germinated broad beans on wet paper towels in a warm cupboard before planting them out. It might work for peas also as I sometimes do that for sweet peas!