Today I planned to brace my brassica tunnels and fix them down but things did not go quite to plan. Being Sunday the cafe was open so, as I arrived a bit later than usual, I decided to start with morning coffee. As usual there was the normal crack and a delicious slice of cake. I was just about to go and start working on the plot when I heard a familiar voice as my son arrived with a Father's Day card - with a suitably veg and computer theme! I then gave him a tour of the plot while we chatted until he left to enjoy his Father's Day celebrations.
I then discovered that I had forgotten to bring the right screws for the bracing! So I went home to get them where lunch was ready!
Having had lunch and got the right screws I turned in the afternoon and fixed the tunnel with little difficulty. I used short lengths of dahlia stakes from the Trading Hut banged in beside each post and corner and then a long screw drilled through into the tunnel's woodwork. I doubt the strongest gale will dislodge the 10 stakes for each tunnel.
There were a few weeds that had penetrated the horse litter mulch but most had not managed to put down strong roots - apart from the thistles and bindweed which got a squirt of glyphosate.
I then harvested strawberries but quite a few had slug damage, so a light dressing of slug bait followed when I reset the netting. There were also broad beans ready though the spring cabbages seemingly refuse to heart up.
Finally I weeded half the row of parsnips that have just come through so I was able to harvest a huge bunch of the radishes I had sown as markers.