Having bought the necessary hardware in the morning I came down to the plot in the afternoon to hang the gate I had prepared yesterday. By fixing a plank across the gate posts and fixing the gate to it with a couple of temporary screws, I found hanging the gate went very smoothly and quickly. I just need to fix some mesh to it to keep the rabbits out, though the pallets I used before would hardly have stopped them!
As I had half an hour of daylight left I set about fixing the large metal mesh I obtained from InExcess to the second brassica tunnel. Once again the work progressed surprisingly easily. As the light finally failed at about 4.30 I managed to cut through the fine mesh and roll it up and clip it with cable ties so the small birds, like blue tits that love the aphids, can now get in.
In the semi-darkness I put out some more rat bait as most of it had disappeared but once again none of the traps had been triggered.
As it was dark, as I left I figured none else would be coming onto the site so I locked the gate.