I spent this morning clearing a space to put in some savoy cabbage plants and took two large barrow-loads of weeds to the compost heap! There were a few old brassica leaves in with them as I cleaned up the neighbouring row of cauliflower plants, removing all the old yellowing leaves but the growth of chickweed and others was staggering! I am saving some of the coarser weeds and spent crops for the bottom of my winter compost heap - so the courgette plants can stand a little longer and the last 3 courgettes will become marrows!
I have removed a panel from the Spring compost bin ready to dig it out and transfer it to the middle bin to complete the rotting down process. Then I can look forward to a binful of dark crumbly compost next spring.
I need to construct some top extensions to build the current bin up a bit as it soon rots down and I'm left with just over half a binful.
It may be getting towards the end of the season but I found a couple of courgettes and three cucumbers. The French beans are still in full production, both the climbing ones and the dwarf 'Purple Teepee'.
The 'Purple Teepee' were the ones that I sowed late and protected with fleece to make sure they got off to a good start. While I'm pleased that they are cropping I am not sure it was necessary as the row next to it, that I have left to produce seed for next year, is still producing new pods and still flowering!
On my next visit I must finish sowing my green manure (on next year's potato patch) and deal with some more weeds so I can plant my onions and garlic.