Yesterday my neighbour called across the fence to say he had more bags of leaves for me. Four builder's bags full of leaves! Nearly four cubic metres!
Fortunately they are bone dry and therefore light and will compress especially when wet.
I squeezed two bags into my trailer and then collected six bin-bags from another neighbour squeezed into the back of my car.
By squashing them down I fitted all the leaves from the builder's bags into the bin, covering the top with a piece of carpet to stop leaves blowing away. The bin-bags I spiked with the fork and poured a gallon of water inside each then stacked them next to the leaf bin to rot down separately until there is enough room in the bin - probably next April! I am not sure what I will do with the leaves in the other two bags. I will have to pile them up somewhere out of the way and cover them - or they will just blow away.
Then I started dismantling my climbing bean frames.
I could not believe how many cable ties I had used to fix the runner bean frame (on the right of the photo), especially as I had not used any for the climbing French beans (on the left). The dried vines went into the compost bin and the canes that were in good condition went into the shed. (I have been told that storing them inside in the dry enables them to survive longer!)
Leaf bin full and bean poles tidied away!
Finally, needing to be home early for lunch, I pulled a cauliflower to take home.