It was a good thing, however, as I would probably have spent the next couple of hours glued to the TV and feeling the tension of every point while Andy lost! Being out in the fresh air, even on a cold day, is much more enjoyable for me. I can always watch the highlights later!
An extra bonus was meeting my new neighbour, Frank. He has already done some tidying and weeding and was down with his wife planning where to put what he wants to grow.
After the neighbourly chat, I got on with righting the upside down frame of my greenhouse, blown over in the recent gale. I pegged it down on all four sides to make sure it stays put until I am ready to set it up properly, hopefully in the next month or so.
To get warm I borrowed the RHAA sledgehammer and banged in a couple of posts to reinforce my leafmould bin so I can convert it into holding the much heavier horse litter.
I then sorted out the branches I had cut from (another) neighbour's Strawberry tree. It belongs to the Buddleia family so some of the twigs will do as support for my peas later on but the thicker stuff is destined for the tip now it is small enough to fit into the trailer.
I also sorted out the remains of my old incinerator that has rusted away. I have been given a newer one of those galvanised dustbins with a chimney in the lid, which I hope will last until I can source an old oil drum which should last a bit longer.
Finally I harvested a few bits of calabrese and purple sprouting to take home.