The weather has been not very helpful this week so today was the first time I managed to get down to the site all week. I had promised someone I would do some rotavating and as the soil had dried out a bit I decided to do that before it rained again.
The first patch was rather small but had been dug before so I left it with a lovely fine tilth. The tenant is just recovering from a series of operations and will find not having to dig rather helpful.
The second plot was something of an experiment as the new tenant had only dug part of the patch. The machine went through the cultivated soil really well and when I got to the solid earth I was surprised how well it broke the earth up.
However the tines did not like it when they came across bits of paving slab and concrete and I found myself stopping and picking out several bits as I progressed down the plot. I was nearly at the end when the machine suddenly stopped. When I looked underneath there was a brick jammed up inside the cowling. I spent the next 15-20 minutes trying to lever it out and only managed it when a helpful neighbour lent me a crowbar and I finally broke the brick in half.
By then it was getting late and I only had time to do a couple more passes, staying only in the front half of the plot away from the area where I had encountered the rubble.
In future I will have to insist the ground has been at least roughly dug over, if only to remove the brickbats!
By then it was too late to do anything on the plot so I went straight home after putting the rotavator way.