I got down to the plot for my normal Sunday morning session despite not having managed to get down at all during the week. When the weather was good I was otherwise engaged and the rest of the week it poured with rain.
I started on my bedraggled broad beans which had collapsed under the wind, cold and rain even though they are under a protective net tunnel. I had brought a bundle of twigs from pruning in my garden, birch and hazel, which I used to lift the plants from where they had flopped onto the ground so they were propped up in the twigs. They were still bent and twisted but will grow upwards as it warms up. Some of the shoots had rotted off completely but most had new young shoots emerging at the base.
I finished by giving both the beans and the parallel row of peas a dose of chicken manure and a light sprinkling of slug bait as some of the leaves on the peas had disappeared. It may be mice that are nibbling them but I cannot easily deal with mice, slugs are much easier to deal with.
Finally the beans were tucked up under the net tunnels.
However, the fancy gooseberries in another bed are in an even more tangled state and still await the secateurs.
I spent a little time picking useful equipment and materials out of the shed and stacking them in the greenhouse before I got a phone call reminding me when the rugby was starting soon so I hurried to finish.
Before harvesting, I found one trap by the shed had caught a rat, which explained perhaps why I had not heard them rustling out the back of the shed. I put down some of the new poison I had bought at the Trading Hut. It is a different constituent poison from the one I get from In-Excess and it is, dose for dose, cheaper. Hopefully it will be a shade more effective!
Finally I harvested leeks, a cabbage, a parsnip and some Brussel Sprouts and rushed home to watch the match. I had to nip back down after the game had finished as, in the rush, I had forgotten to shut the greenhouse!