Work terracing my back garden and leading a walk for the Rambling group means this was the first visit to the plot this week.
All I wanted to do was start spreading the compost in the bin. I needed to enrich the strip where I plan to plant the new summer raspberry plants which are on order. I removed the front of the bin and was pleased to see how dark the compost was. The top was a bit dry and the bottom was soaking wet but, as I cut it out in vertical layers, it will get mixed together. There were also lots of worms, always a good sign. Even the tunnels the rats had burrowed were a help aerating the heap.
A 2 or 3 inch slice filled a barrow with a bit left over. The first four barrowloads went on the future raspberry strip.
Then I tipped the next four onto the asparagus bed and spread it into a 4 inch blanket that will benefit next year's crop. The upturned bottles mark the asparagus plants so I don't damage the emerging shoots next spring.
The winter green manure looks doubtful. Despite having a second sowing of seed, there is little sign of any Ryegrass though the Vetches are coming through reasonably. I will be contacting the supplier!
Before going home I harvested the Brussels sprouts from the bottom of the plants. To tidy things up I picked everything of each stem until I had got four sprouts of eatable size. I also removed any yellowing leaves throwing them on a neighbour's plot to see if his chickens will eat them.
I then dug out three leeks, the first from this year's crop, and a parsnip. Finally I pulled a cabbage that had not hearted up - early spring greens!