Monday 20th February
The other day, while in Stewarts getting a few 1st early potatoes to grow on in bags in the greenhouse, I picked up a plant of an autumn raspberry called 'Joan J'. Today I decided I would replace one of my inherited raspberry plants with the new one. I hope to propagate more plants from the new root next year and eventually replace all the old roots which are those transferred from the patch I inherited when I took the plot on.
While digging out the old root I found some bindweed roots and remembered I had some problems with it last year. Fortunately the bindweed seems to have only grown through the mulch so, once I had planted the new root, I set about doing my annual dig of the path beside the row. Now the plot next door is being cleared by the new tenant, much to my relief, it is worth trying to eradicate the thistles and bindweed. Unfortunately the soil was very compacted and wet so I struggled to remove the roots especially as some of them go down below the spade depth. I am wondering whether I can get the time to double dig that part once the soil dries out a bit.
However I did not have time immediately as I had to rush home early to meet my son who was coming round to help level up my shed at home as it is subsiding into the hole I made grubbing out a tree stump.
I went home without any veg, just a couple of large chunks of paving slab to go under the shed foundations.