The first problem is that I do not have room for all the types of brassica I want to grow, so I had to be selective.
I already had a row of five Brussel Sprouts planted but 2 plants were not thriving. I decided to add 3 later cropping Brussels to the row by replacing the ailing plants and adding one to the end of the row. When I dug up the ailing plants they were an excellent example of club root! I wish I had taken a picture for those who have yet to experience it! It's my own fault as this patch hosted my spring cauliflowers and you should never plant twice brassicas in the same place. Normally I use generous amounts of lime that helps prevent club root but this was obviously not enough so I dug out the infected soil and spread it in front of my plot away from all brassicas growing and added even more lime this time. I hope it is enough!
Then I planted out 2 rows of mixed Purple Sprouting Broccoli and one of Sutherland Kale. The latter was a gift from another allotmenteer and come highly recommended.
Unfortunately I then did not have enough lime to plant any more so will come back as soon as possible to finish the planting out.
I then watered everything in and turned to digging out a couple of early potato plants giving enough for a delicious meal or two. In between I pulled quite a few weeds - they are still growing apace. Finally I picked another tub full of strawberries and was surprised to find none were 'mouse-eaten'!