So on Thursday I took the trays of plants down to the plot. Due to a memory lapse I had sown two trays of the climbing French Bean 'Cobra', one in toilet roll tubes and one in 'Root Trainers'. Having planted the toilet roll tubes I found that the 'Root Trainers' had dried out too much so had to leave the job half done. Mind you I did not forget to net those I had planted against pigeons and gave them a scattering of slug bait!
I then picked some more rhubarb as it is in its prime and tasting lovely. Finally I picked some broad beans from my autumn sown row of 'Super Aquadulce'. I am trying to pick them nice and young when they taste better. There were enough to offer a handful to my neighbour.
Today (Saturday) I returned to complete planting out my climbing French Beans. Having done that I turned my attention to the carrot seedlings. I have risked not protecting them from Carrot Root Fly but now they are through (somewhat sparsely) I carefully hand weeded them after hoeing round them, before erecting a fleece tunnel over them.
I also put a net tunnel over the row of Sugar Snap Peas as I noticed they had been attacked - probably by pigeons.
The clumps of grass threatening to close off the gateway to the plot were dug out and added to the heap ready to start the new compost bin and I used some lengths of plank to extend up the sides of the old bin which is full to overflowing before adding another bagful of grass cutting from a neighbour at home. Next time I cut my own lawn I will be able to compost the clippings as the fertilizer/weed killer will have worn off.