I arrived on site with a couple of Association tasks to do at the new cabin and Trading Hut. Having had to bring the rotavator out to access other equipment I decided I might as well take the chance to use it on my plot.
Having completed my RHAA work I got to the plot and started by emptying the two large bags of grass cuttings from a neighbour into the compost bin. I was then pleased at how the rotavator started so quickly after the repair work done by Don Hilton. His work meant that using the machine was much easier.
Despite the difficulty of using the machine in small spaces I managed to go over all the beds that had been dug over and reduced the lumps to a fine tilth. I was also able to go over the beds mulched with compost and leafmould.
After returning the machine to the store I used my hand cultivator to break down the lumps on the strip I dug yesterday inside the brassica tunnel because the machine doesn't fit through the doorway! I then put down a line and planted my 'Kestrel' seed potatoes. I was one seed potato short for the row so I cut one in half that had several shoots emerging. A dressing of slug bait in the hole with each potato may reduce the underground population of slugs so there might be fewer holes in my crop.
As the soil was reasonably dry on the surface I spent 10 minutes or so treading the soil down on this year's brassica patch as brassicas like firm soil and I want to repeat this year's success with growing Brussel Sprouts!.
I then ran the hand cultivator over it to give it a thin mulch of crumbly soil to help keep the moisture in.
I then finished up by using my hand cultivator to even out the ridges left by the rotavator. It was evident that the mulched beds were in much better condition than those with plain soil. However there was rather too much leafmould mulch on the bed for peas and beans. I obviously should have spread it over two beds. Hopefully the peas and beans will still grow well in the rich mixture.