After lunch I hoped to do a bit before the forecast rain arrived.
First I emptied the kitchen waste onto the compost bin and covered it with a neighbour's grass cuttings. It was quite hard work lifting everything up to the top of the pile now it is over 5 feet high. I had brought some cord so I was able to put a lashing round the extensions to the top of the compost bin where it threatened to collapse outwards.
Then I got out the new 'Roundup' ready-to-use spray pack I have bought and sprayed some of the bindweed and other perennial weeds around the edge of the plot. It is a bit late in the season and I hoped the rain would hold off long enough to let it work but I felt I had to do something.
Finally I started on the rest of the brassica patch. As with the first half the problem was the bindweed along the fence. It was complicated however by the addition of raspberry roots and a weed that also produces white adventitious roots that look very like bindweed and may be just as much a nuisance. Once again the roots were intertwined with the chicken wire and I found myself leaning over into my neighbours plot and digging out roots. Not something I recommend unless you are sure they won't mind but with his recent operation and subsequent heart attack I'm pretty sure he will be happy to have a bit less bindweed!
I had just about finished the six feet of trench when it started to rain so I packed up and went home before I got wet.