I have 2 kilos of Sarpo Mira as a backup if we have a bad blight year, though I am pleased to find that last year's crop is only just beginning to sprout, whereas all the other types I grew have long shoots already after the very warm autumn we have had.
I have a kilo of King Edwards (my wife's favourite), Pentland Javelin (my first early), Cara (for Baking potatoes) and Charlotte (My favourite). As I read somewhere, I shall alternate the rows as a way of trying to limit the way blight spreads.
In the meantime I shall be chitting them all in trays in the (cool) spare bedroom next to the window.
Once I had collected the bags of spuds I went on the plot and pruned my soft fruit. My gooseberries and blackcurrants are very neglected.
A standard gooseberry had multiple suckers growing from the rootstock which I had to cut off below ground and dig out. I then pruned the tangle of branches, removing any broken or crossing wood and anything that sags down to the ground. Then I trimmed leading shoots by about a third and side shoots by more.
The blackcurrants were trimmed a bit but the main job was to remove about a third of the old wood, choosing anything growing awkwardly or close to the ground.
I went home with some leeks, some purple broccoli sprouts, a small cauliflower and some small turnips.