I went down the plot today despite being full of cold. The fresh air keeps it at bay - it just hits me harder when I get home!
I cut through the remaining stakes on my brassica tunnel and, with the help of 5 of my near neighbours, we lifted it to its new position across from the new one being constructed. Fortunately my purple sprouting had 'blossomed' so much I was able to offer everyone something to take home and still have lots for myself.
I should have taken a photo but in my befuddled state I forgot! Perhaps next time!
I was then able to plant my Charlotte potatoes, just one row as they are fairly susceptible to blight.
I have just remembered I should have interspersed the susceptible types with the resistant ones as I read somewhere it helps reduce cross-infection! I will have to do it with my maincrop only; King Edwards and Sarpo Mira.
I understand that even Sarpo Mira is not resistant to a new version of the blight which is spreading fast, hopefully not to this area yet!
I started harvesting the brussels and purple sprouting when I realised the pigeons would make short work of the greenery unless I protected them so I spent some time rigging netting round the remaining plants.
When had finished I saw that one of my spring cabbages had hearted up nicely while most of them have gone to seed so I picked it and had some of it for dinner this evening - fresh and crunchy!
Just as I left I had a go at digging out the stumps of the stakes left by the brassica tunnel. As I expected it was not easy and I had mixed success. I got two of the big stake tips out but the next two resisted my efforts! The dahlia stakes came out fairly easily which is encouraging as I intend using dahlia stakes to fix it in the new position!