Having worked with other committee members to clear some vacant plots ready for new tenants, I had some time left to work on my plot.
I felt the best thing to do was start using the newly reconstructed compost bin by clearing down my old runner bean haulms. I started by removing all the dried beans from the old plants as I don't really want the seeds sprouting in the compost and we hope to try using them in cooking at home.
I then collected together the canes from the runner beans and, removing the shortened and broken ones, stored them inside the roof of the shed to protect them from the winter weather. The short ones were thrown down in the greenhouse to sort later.
Before going home I emptied my trailer of the bags of leaves I had brought from home, stacking them neatly ready for when I can empty the wire enclosure of the leaves from 2016 and spread the resulting leaf mould on the plot.