However, in order to get warm, I removed the framing for my runner bean canes and dug a trench to bury some compost to keep their roots nice and moist through the summer.
I then managed to remove more than half the contents and took the opportunity to cut the water pipe into suitable lengths. It was taking up quite a bit of space in large coils. The narrow (domestic size) piping I cut into 2 metre lengths ready for net tunnels. I managed to get 12 lengths, enough for 3 tunnels.
The thick (mains) piping was just long enough to cut three 6 metre lengths ready for another large net 'poly'tunnel.
Once cut to size the piping is much easier to store!
Of course in the mess I found evidence of a mouse nest - to be expected!
When I've dismantled it there will be 4 panels of corrugated asbestos and several flat panels which I will take to the special bins at the tip - unless someone can find a safe use for them!
It is good to finally get started on this project as I've been planning it for quite some time.
As I was leaving in the gathering gloom I went to check whether there was anyone left on site and found an old friend loading compost onto his truck from his huge bin. As a landscape gardener he collects a huge amount and normally spreads it in the autumn. Indeed he was the previous tenant of my plot and kept it in good heart with an annual mulch that he rotovated in each spring. When I mentioned that I struggled to obtain enough compost he offered me a truckload which he dropped off outside my plot - so I now have to barrow it off the the roadway tomorrow!