After an exchange of emails last night I arrived on-site this morning hoping to meet up with John Lack. Normally he is working on his plot long before I arrive but today I was the earlier one even though I got there well after ten. We had discussed repairs to the fallen notice board so I moved it and propped it up on the nearby fence. It was too heavy to move anywhere else but being propped up meant some of the water ran off it. John arrived just afterwards and quickly sorted out the problem. I just helped lift and carry.
We discussed the work needing doing by the Working Party on Sunday. Hardening the access to the 'manure' bins is a big job which will need machinery. In the meantime we need to clear the 'manure' off the track beyond the Trading Hut and making sure there space somewhere for the next load. We need all the help we can get at 10 am. for a couple of hours on Sunday morning. Meet at the Trading Hut!
After sorting out the notice I cleared the greenhouse frame on the Special Needs plot that had been blown over by the wind and collapsed. What was a perfectly good frame is now scrap metal as important struts have been bent!
Finally I got to my plot. I emptied my kitchen waste bin into the compost and checked the rat poison to find all was undisturbed so I hope there are no mice/rats around in the shed and compost bin.
I then started spreading pine needles over the path beside the summer raspberries, after I had hoed the strip to level it. One bag contained what looked like sweet pea haulms with a covering of pine needles so that covered the kitchen waste in the compost bin.
Then I scraped off the needles from the other side of the raspberries and spread them over the top of the newly laid needles. I then dug over the newly revealed ground underneath after cutting through any roots spreading out from the row. The soil was not as wet as I had experienced on the first side, perhaps because the soil next to it has already been dug over.
I harvested a few parsnips only one of which is a good shape but suffering from canker all the way down its length. Tender and True is the cultivar so I must use a more resistant variety next year and sow in a different bed. I also took a couple of leeks and a turnip (for me, my wife doesn't like them!). I then finished by cutting some chard, throwing away most of the bigger leaves attacked by snails and pigeons but that was a thicker covering for the kitchen waste.