This afternoon I added more kitchen waste to my already bulging compost bin, taking care to bury it in a depression in the middle of the top and covered with weeds after chopping it up with a spade.
At the back of the plot I tidied some timber and poles cleared from the shed, stacking them neatly back in the shed.
In tidying away some hosepipe I struggled with the fallen stems of the Jerusalem Artichoke I grow at the end of the greenhouse to provide shade. I got the loppers and cut the stems down stacking them alongside the gooseberry bushes while I think what to do with them. One plant had come out of the ground completely revealing huge tubers which I set out clearly labelled on the nearest water tank for others to help themselves, keeping just two to take home.
Having cleared everything off the old marrow and squash patch I raked the remains of the mulch onto the gooseberry patch next door and will add more later. Quite a bit of bindweed had spread beneath the mulch but I was able to pull most of it straight out. Anything left behind will have to be dealt with when I dig over the patch.
Once that was done, as it was getting dark, I harvested a parsnip which I was surprised to find was a perfectly formed root as its neighbour had been a mass of rootlets. I then pulled some tiny baby carrots as I thinned my last row. I do hope they will grow a bit bigger before the cold weather stops them.