I only got down to the plot at just before three but thought I could complete the planting up of the new strawberry bed before dark. I needed to transfer some runners of the variety 'Hapil' from the old bed to fill the last couple of planting holes I had prepared. However as I dug out the plants from the old bed there were quite a few strong plants so I kept them all to select the best.
While digging the end of the bed I came across some thick bindweed roots so decided to dig out the end of the bed completely. As my neighbour, Bruce, had gone to alot of trouble to try removing everything on his side I felt duty bound to do the best I could on my side. I had to loosen the soil under the fence but think I got almost all of it out as the soil was very crumbly.
By this time the mizzle, as I call that very fine misty rain, had started to develop into definite rain so I retired again to the shed and checked the rat bait and trap. Having set the trap in the box by the shed door I needed the drill to screw down another block of rat bait as the original block had disappeared leaving the screw standing all alone! As I returned to the shed I heard the trap spring but when I checked it was a false alarm. I took care to make sure it was well set the second time. While the bait blocks round the shed had all been called or completely removed, the one in the greenhouse had been left untouched. This is strange as the last one disappeared completely.
I went home before I got too wet, forgetting to empty the bucket of bindweed roots into the water bucket I use to drown persistent weeds. I hope the wind doesn't blow the contents all over the place before I can get back.