During the winter I had lost a good row of Douce Provence peas which disappeared gradually as either the mice or slugs got them or they couldn't cope with the weather so I sowed a new set in the gutters at home. The germination had been very poor but there were just enough to fill half a row so I raked aside a strip of horse litter and cultivated the soil to loosen it before scraping a groove to take the strip of compost and the peas. Previously I've always had difficulty sliding the compost out of the gutter into the groove. This time I watered the gutters just before trying to empty them and they just slipped out into the groove so easily. I hope the few plants in the row give me a good crop.
At lunchtime I collected the rubbish from the vacant plot and went home to eat. Afterwards I returned via the tip to dump the rubbish. My plan was to first plant a row of Cara seed potatoes then move on to other jobs. To plant the potatoes I first had to dig over the rest of the patch. There were some sprouts of raspberries that had spread from my row which I knew I would have to dig out but I was in for a bit of a shock! There were lots of roots and shoots beneath the surface and I had to dig down two spits to get some of it out and at one point I went down over two feet to dig out the root.
I was once told a weed is a plant growing where you don't want it and this is certainly true of these raspberries!