So here is the Catch-up entry.
On Wednesday I planned to plant out some brassicas, Brussel sprouts and Summer Broccoli. However, the broccoli had started flowering already, probably because I let them almost dry out about a fortnight ago. So planted the Brussels in my new net tunnel after I had reinforced the net fixings with some battens. The wind was vicious and made everything very difficult.
I started digging in my green manure using my 'Backsaver' spade, managing a few spits before giving up as the wind kept catching the spade and making me misdirect the blade as I dug!
Before going home I harvested the last of the purple sprouting as well as some leeks, swiss chard and rhubarb.
Thursday was an early start to help unload a delivery of compost etc. into the Trading Hut at 8am. Afterwards I went onto my plot as I had forgotten to water the Brussel Sprout plants I put in yesterday. While there I did some more digging. My 'Backsaver' spade (actually an original 'Terrex' spade from years ago) is a real 'godsend'. It saves me bending and twisting, something my back will not cope with.
The soil stays in clumps because it is held together by the fine root system of the green manure. Those lumps break down pretty easily and the roots add humus to the soil.
It is still quite hard work but much less strain on the back and muscles.
I went home with the last of my cauliflowers. Another real beauty that weighed over 4lb.