This morning my target was to clear the unsightly heap from in front of my plot. A mixture of grass cuttings and garden waste from my neighbours at home and the weeds and spent crops from the plot, the pile had become huge and was not doing the grass under it any good at all.
I started by emptying several bags of very coarse plant material I had collected from various gardens and kept for just this time. That way the compost will be easier to dig out and not just meld into the soil at the bottom of the heap.
In quite a short time the newly emptied bin was more than half full and quite well mixed. I found dumping successive fork-loads into each corner in turn kept everything nice and level as well as mixing the different materials.
That done I did the watering I should have done the night before and then finished weeding the asparagus bed and hoed the patch next to it, adding the heap of weeds to the compost bin. I also hoed the weeds beginning to thrive in the brassica tunnel. As there is a horse litter mulch they came out very easily.
I then spent a few minutes trying to train the squashes along the rows of sweet corn as I remember in previous years struggling to keep my footing when moving amongst the plants when harvesting. I'm not sure how effective this will be.