My arrival on the plot was especially late, around half past four. My main objective was to re-sow the green manure now the packet of seed (1kg of Rye and Vetches) has arrived. However, my first task was to empty the kitchen waste on the compost heap.
Having done that, I got my cultivator and ran it over the surface to give a fine tilth. I had split the seed up into thirds giving just under 35 grams per square metre for my 4 by 3 yard patch. With the soil nice and loose I broadcast the seed, first once way and then at right angles. I then used the cultivator again to bury the seed - instead of the usual rake as that often leaves much of the seed still on the surface.
Pleased with the result I moved on to reorganising the storage of last year's leaves to free up the builders sacks I will need for this autumn's leaves. I managed to empty 4 bags out of the 8 into my leafmould bin.
I have just realised that last year's leaves were not shredded in any way, which may explain why they are not rotting down so fast!
As the sun set and dusk fell I picked a few raspberries and blackberries before leaving, locking the gate as there was no-one else on site.