Family visitors and celebrations, together with Wednesday's appalling weather, meant Friday was the first time I got a chance to visit the plot.
I had checked at home the cauliflower I had collected last time and found the leaves had all yellowed and withered; OK to eat but totally unsuitable for exhibiting. Looking at the other cauliflower still growing I found it was almost as big and almost as moth eaten - but at least it was fresh so I pulled it.
I also pulled a cabbage that had hearted up quite well, ready for the show - though I had to remove several small heads that had branched off the main system!
I then started to check for other possible veg to exhibit at the Summer Show but soon realised I hadn't got the time to select quality items as there was so much that had to be harvested.
There were quite a few yellow courgettes but only one green one. However the marrow plants were producing several small fruits that would do, together with a couple of marrows.
There were tons of runner beans which I hurriedly collected, realising that most came away without the necessary stalk for showing. Then, before going home, I picked one half of the climbing French bean frame where the flat 'Hunter' beans were - as we particularly liked eating them!
That night I spent an hour selecting and preparing for the show the cabbage and cauliflower, a few of the French beans and three of my 'Jermor' shallots. Only the shallots are of a suitable quality to show but the rest will give everyone something to talk about!
Unfortunately I cannot locate the photos in my computer to post here!