I got down to the plot in the late afternoon to lift the last of my potatoes, a row of Cara.
However, the prolific asparagus fern next door would get in the way. As they have to be cut down soon anyway I decided to do it before lifting the potatoes. Unfortunately my bill hook only served to pull the shoots up from the roots so I had to resort to cutting each stem with secateurs individually. I finished with a great heap of fronds which I added to the heap of courgette/cucumber haulms as there is not yet room in the compost bin for large amounts. I still have to construct the central bin which fell apart when I emptied it.
The asparagus cleared, I started digging out the Cara potatoes. Having two bags nearby, one for potatoes and the other for rubbish (haulms, damaged spuds etc.) made things much easier.
One of the first big tubers showed several slug holes but I was pleased that I saw no more slug damage as I harvested the rest. A check as I store them will hopefully confirm this. (Checked - Very little slug damage - much less than last year!)