Waiting in for the delivery of a package containing the locks for the new container meant I was very late down on the plot this afternoon.
I had brought my trailer down full of garden waste from a neighbour who was doing an autumn clear up. I emptied the sacks of plant material onto one bin and added the necessary two handfuls of activator. The three big waste sacks she had filled with the grass from scarifying her lawn were too big to add to the bin so I left them in a heap on a vacant patch on the plot.
While emptying these sacks I was surprised to see quite a few young runner beans so I picked more than enough for a meal leaving the big old pods to develop and dry out to give some seed for next year.
I did a quick check of the makeshift slug traps I had dosed with beer from an out of date can I found at home to find a few small dead slugs in one. I am sure there are lots more out there!
Before going home I drove the trailer round to the long compost bin at the far end of the site and filled it with the last of the good quality 'manure/compost' that had not been taken by anyone. It took a while to remove the weeds that had begun to sprout all over the heap but I didn't want it to go to waste when the next delivery of 'horse litter' was dumped on top of it!