My main aim this Sunday morning was to move my two brassica tunnels onto their new patches. However, the first task was to clear the space so they could be moved.
First I had to remove the small net tunnel protecting the brassicas already growing on the new patch and shifting everything that stick up in the way. I had already unscrewed the first tunnel from its securing stakes but the second tunnel was still full of overgrown Brussels and cabbages all still attached to their stakes. The stakes themselves came out relatively easily after I had snipped through the cable ties. The plants were a different matter. Some I could just pull up but most had such well developed roots I had to use a fork to ease them from the ground. My efforts using lime obviously promote excellent roots and there was no sign of clubroot.
The sprouts on three cabbages were worth saving to eat but the Brussels had gone to far and had started flowering.
Having cleared the interior apart, from the purple sprouting which is still cropping, I unscrewed the securing stakes and tidied everything up so there was less chance of tripping up while moving the frame. I then screwed the bar that weighs down the door netting across the bottom of the doorway to strengthen the framework.
Having done all the preparatory work I went for a coffee at the cafe, hoping to rustle up enough helpers for the actual move.
After a lovely piece of cake, a coffee and some chat I persuaded a group of old friends to return with me to the plot and, in a very short time, both tunnels were sat in their new locations with just a few necessary adjustments that I could do myself. The only damage, a broken spar, was easily repaired once I had dealt with the cause which was the uneven ground on the new patch. Having unscrewed the doorway and nudged each frame into exactly the right position, I decided to leave staking it down to a later time as there are no strong winds forecast and much else to do. I did have to net the purple sprouting left behind to protect it from the pigeons.
Having bought a mini-sprayer of Roundup at a bargain price just for this sort of occasion, I sprayed each emerging thistle in the legume patch.
Then, since the wind was so light, I went along the fence giving the bindweed shoots, which seem early this year, a treatment where they were isolated from my crops. Now my new neighbour is clearing the next door plot it is worthwhile spending time trying to deal with these problems.
In an effort to do something really constructive, I decided to sow my first row of carrots. I had a packet of 'Karnavit' seed from Lidl that I wanted to try and which the instructions said could be sown early. In an effort to get good looking straight roots I followed a suggestion I came across some time ago. Using a spade I cut a deep slot along the row which I filled with multipurpose compost. Sowing the seed along the drill I left a groove as normal to focus the water where it is needed. Before the seedlings emerge I must cover them with eco-mesh to stop carrot fly.
Before going home for lunch I picked some curly kale sprouts to go with the cabbage sprouts. I also cut the last small cauliflower.